oceans 2 earth volunteers
Created by volunteers, for volunteers Focused on animals, wildlife and conservation
 Volunteer Now

Far North Queensland Wildlife Shelter

Queensland, Australia

Far North Queensland Wildlife Shelter
Apply Now
Contact Us

The Location

  • Getting There

Fly to Cairns, Australia, then take a bus to Ravenshoe or Atherton.

  • The Location

Covering a total area of 7.69 million square kilometres, mainland Australia is the world's largest island - but smallest continent. Its ocean territory is also the third-largest in the world, spanning three oceans and covering around 12 million square kilometres.

Australia has one of the most urbanised and coast-dwelling populations in the world, with more than 80 per cent of residents living within 100 kilometres of the coastline.

There are an estimated 27,700 plant species in Australia, including living fossils such as the cycad palm and the grass tree, and brilliant wildflowers such as the waratah, Sturt desert pea, banksia and kangaroo paws. Australia has around 2800 species of eucalypts (gum trees), and 1000 species of acacia. They call the acacias wattle, of which the Golden Wattle is Australia's floral emblem.

Eucalypts make up almost 80 per cent of the forests while acacias, melaleucas (tea tree), casuarinas (she-oaks), callitris (cypress pine), mangroves and rainforests make up the other 20 per cent. Gum trees (eucalypts) are the tree most commonly associated with Australia and are found in areas from sub-alpine to wet coastal forests, through to temperate woodlands and the dry inland areas. Australia's rainforests stretch across the country and cover every climatic type. The Daintree Rainforest in north Queensland is the oldest tropical rainforest on earth, dating back 135 million years. An extraordinary 13 different types of rainforest can be found here.

More than 80 per cent of plants, mammals, reptiles and frogs are unique to Australia and are found no-where else. Some of the best-known animals are the kangaroo, koala, echidna, dingo, platypus, wallaby and wombat.

Australia has more than 378 mammal species, 828 bird species, 4000 fish species, 300 species of lizards, 140 snake species, two crocodile species and around 50 types of marine mammal. The world's largest coral reef system, the World Heritage-listed Great Barrier Reef has many species of colourful fish and around 1700 different species of coral.

The rescue centre is situated on 5 acres of land on the southern Atherton Tablelands in Far North Queensland, a 2-3 hour drive from Cairns. It is nestled in a tropical paradise on the banks of the beautiful Millstream River, home to waterfalls, swimming holes and surrounded by bushland.

The Tablelands area in which the project is located is 920 metres above sea level and the local township is surrounded by World Heritage listed rainforest and is the highest point of the Misty Mountains Trails (Walking Tracks). Also known as the Cairns Highlands this area boasts wildlife, birds and attractions found nowhere else in Tropical North Queensland.

  • Free Time and Travel Opportunities

After the morning feed, your afternoon is free to do what you choose. There are local activities including a river and hot springs nearby which you can swim in, rainforest walking trails and mountains. The project offers bicycle use for a small security bond.

On your time off you can explore to your heart's content. Wild, unspoilt and adventurous by nature, tropical North Queensland is home to two World Heritage-listed natural wonders and packs enough adventure to the most seasoned traveller.

The reef and ancient rainforests offer one of the world's last remaining patches of untouched wilderness, while the laid-back, tropical centres of Cairns and Port Douglas are major gateways to the Great Barrier Reef and natural starting points for expeditions to the Gulf of Savannah and Cape York's remote wilderness areas.

Wherever your interests lie, this region offers water sports, bushwalking, rock climbing, wildlife spotting, markets, hot springs, National Parks, World Heritage treasures, restaurants, spas, roadside stalls, cellar doors, a scenic railway, canopy walk, tea plantation, coffee plantation, wineries, sky high cable car, lava tubes, kayaking, galleries, cruises and a dairy you will find it.